PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SENIORITY - The Seniority system in your airline
Old 6th Dec 2013, 10:35
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Alloy dealer, I wish! Quite the contrary. I spent the first half of my career as an expatriate F/O and later Captain in some fairly hostile places and did time as a pilot union rep. Also time on the other side of the table in chief pilot roles. I survived one major revolution that saw the national flag carrier lay off all expats, and two airline bankruptcies since. I have been accepted as a DEC into more than one company, but only where the F/O experience base was lacking for what was needed at the time.
Now I only work part time - mostly training - and will no doubt cease to do that as soon as there is someone within the regular ranks with the necessary experience to take it over. Which is only right when one thinks about succession and all that.
I merely speak on the subject of seniority from a position of what I see as fair play. Having seen various abuses when nothing is formalized.
But seniority or otherwise is like religion - people tailor it to fit their circumstances.