PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 5th Dec 2013, 16:56
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Bristow UK SAR Engagement Event - Inverness

Just out of the Inverness Bristow UK SAR Engagement Event.

Many of my questions were answered, either in the presentations or the discussions that followed. There were a couple of unexpected twists. Ongoing work on technical and regulatory aspects of SAR flying sounds positive and I hope that everyone involved in that gives it their best.

Aircraft role equipment spec is due to move forward even from the where the GAP SAR aircraft is now. This is impressive.

There is little doubt that Bristow have been listening. More channels of communication have been opened today and that can only be good.

They remain exposed on a couple of details but April 2015 is still some way off. A limited amount was said about the risks associated with the 189 certification programme. I expect that prototype format, SAR flying systems and de-icing test time will pile on the pressure but I already know there is a Plan B.

The matter of remote refuelling sites is also still being worked on. Lochaber is a critical location since, being an area of poor aeronautical conditions, no aeronautical infrastructure exists there. However, Highland fuel agents have an outstanding ability to get lots of flammable smelly stuff to strange places, and gas turbines are 'omniverous', so there is plenty of scope for solution.

One of the really positive aspects of today's event is that the Bristow Director and representatives from Weber Shandwick, MCA and DfT all got snowed on. Failte gu Gaidhealtachd!