PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi - SP here, flare frsutration!
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2013, 22:58
Chase_BHX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally solo

I finally went solo today after 60+ hours. Think it is probably partly related to age 50+ which makes picking up new motor skills takes longer than when younger and work leading to several gaps of three or four weeks between lessons.
Not sure what made the difference as had a three week gap since last leason. At one point instructor was worried I was not progressing so had a check flight with CFI. His helpful advice for me (6 foot in PA 28) was that at lading I am the same height off the runway as when standing next to the plane. Otherwise he said I was not far off (apart from the last where I dropped the nose wheel rather hard as soon as the main wheels touched down) and I have done 5 more hours since but until today was not getting the round out and flare consistent. Usually 1st and last poor. Record was one lesson with all go arounds (bounce, drift off the side of he declared runway, too fast, too high and one because the runway was still occupied at decision height). Advantages (?) of number of ciciuits is I can fly a go around consistently while complying with a noise abatement circuit, have done practice forced landings into nearly all the available fields (and one of the two grass strips) andr glide approaches from most parts of the circuit where can reach the airfield including to a full stop landing rather than go around.
Made a conscious decision when realised first solo was going to be a long time coming to enjoy the flying with an instructor. Did a few general handling / practice navigation lessons but also flew my wife to the flying proms at Shuttleworth and to Gloucester to drop off a club pilot flying back in another plane.
The pleasure of flying solo in the twilight looking down on the local villages was magical. So people on the thread are right it does come eventually.
Chris