PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-engine landing with C525; flaps setting???
Old 29th Nov 2013, 18:20
roadrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landing Assured

I am a mei, part 142 TCE w/certificate action, Part 135/121 check airman.
I would never change the flap setting in any multi aircraft single engine.
You have the data, (you can use 0 flap data which is more conservative), why do you want to de stabilize the approach, be distracted at low altitude, give up the go around ability, for what gain, landing 200' shorter, REALLY.
There are many reasons to land at approach setting and few if any to land at full. Large aircraft cannot change settings, ask yourself why not????
AND as far as the checklist goes, you ARE following it, it says "flaps full WHEN landing assured" or something very close to that. When is a limiting word, you cannot proceed until the when is meet, therefore if you believe the landing is in question, (and i also do, until coming to a stop) then landing at app setting is following the checklist to the "t".

** systems reasons - (i noticed the CJ lift dump system) don't fly CJ's but the hawker has the lift dump which you have to be in full flaps to access, we still land with app then upon touchdown go to full flaps and get the dump ability, IF you fly an airplane which it is not feasible to do something like that THEN you may have no choice, very poor design by manufacturer, shame on them but what can you do, don't lose an engine.

i have logged some 6000+ landings, i will tell you only 3 were assured. period. we could not have gone around, 2 fuel and 1 weather, and no i don't cut my fuel short but when crossing oceans and un-forecast wind and weather you don't have much choice.

i have not had a CAA or FAA have a problem with this logic.

This landing assured crap dates back to the boot icing thing and the 400' min 3rd segment thing, both of which have been changed for good reason, this is the next one that needs to be addressed, if you look at where these rules came from they made sense 60 years ago, but not today.....

Just my 2 cents......

Last edited by roadrash; 30th Nov 2013 at 16:31. Reason: forgot something