PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi - SP here, flare frsutration!
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2013, 22:30
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nailed it folks, 3 consecutive landings near text book (although a high hour pilot might disagree!). To top it off, had to do right hand circuits today which I have never done before (noise abatement rules prevent left hand using this particular runway) . Moved onto flapless approach today. A couple of go arounds, I called it, instructor agreed so I guess my judgement is getting pretty good.

MyMeowCat, phiggsbroadband: doing 75knot base, 65knot final. Down to idle when the numbers disappear (so basically on the threshold). Drop down to 1700 rpm downwind with 10degree flap, then 1500rpm turning base with 20 degree flap. Final is 30degree flap and RPM depends on airspeed. OF course all this depends on windspeed, but for the best part I am flying early mornings before work so there is pretty much no wind at all.

MyMeowCat: we use full flap (30deg) on final. I think some of the older models have 40 degree full flap, which maybe to much in your case? As for glide slope, I can pick when I am to high or low now. I can tell when I am too high turning final without using altimeter (went through a stage where the FI blanked out all instruments except ASI) and this is normally the crucial part for me. If I am at the right hight as I turn final, my slope is normally perfect.

ktcy152, re cowl on horizon, pretty much what I did today. Think somewhere in this thread someone said the attitude should be the same as for takeoff. Thats what I did! (thanks to whoever that was!)

I can tell you, I am so over circuits now! Just need to practice some more circuit emergencies, but almost there!