PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi - SP here, flare frsutration!
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2013, 15:52
MyMeowCat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ flarepilot: yeah that Stick and Rudder is a good book with lots of good stuff in it. Too bad I had to return it to the library --- I will have another look at it.

As for the vision thing ---- I don't have any corrective lenses. The idea of looking a round and even to the side is a trick for myself to prevent from staring and being fixated.

@ Andy_P: At my school they have us going final at 65 knots with 20 degrees of flap and go power idle before the threshold and glide in. In my 1977 C172 Skyhawk POH the approach speed is 55 knots to 65 knots so they have me going in at the highest setting. I think they do this as a safety factor against stall and wind. I don't think my instructors mind you being at 60 at the threshold (note this is only around the threshold).

Next time when you approach ask your instructor what he thinks of your glide slope...mine doesn't mention anything to me unless I'm dangerously off. I think they are seeing if the student can develop "judgement" on their own. My gut feel is that if you are steep then when you level off then your speed will increase because all the energy from that height gets converted to speed. If you approach at 65 then when your round out you are likely to be slightly over 65 for a while especially if you are steep.

The point is that your instructor may not be talking to you about your glide slope so you should ask while on final approach.

While on short final (on a zero wind day) see if you can pitch for 60 --- in a sense you are slowing it up a bit more before you get to the round-out part.