PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to Now, for the Industry?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2003, 19:58
Sly'n Smiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent 10 years + at AN and when they went under I tried to get work at over 120 diffent airlines. I joined AN too close to the dispute for Emirates, told to come back in 12 months by QF, dont have mates in the right places at Virgin Blue and simply didnt hear back from most of the rest. I got a job in GA for a while with a company that seemed good ( as is anywhere when you are desparate!!), but I resigned after 4 weeks as I could not stomache what I percieved to be the chief pilots ill-mannered behaviour towards his staff. In GA I saw aircraft that were old heaps of 5hit 15 years earlier still flying around. Some other things had not changed; that you needed rich parents or enormous dedication and few other financial commitments to stay in flying. Same old reasons: low rates of pay and very little job security. Even full-time GA jobs only pay $12 per hour, after the company has made you do all the 'other duties' around the hangar. You'd make more money cleaning dunnies at Hoyts! The only really worthwhile jobs in aviation are the ones that will offer you a career path, security of tenure and a reasonable salary. If they dont meet these cirteria, then they are a stepping stone. You owe this much to your family. Qantas and VB fit the bill here, as do some other lesser known companies. However, some things are changing; there is a greater requirement to pay for your own endorsements and training. (ie: less nett income) The option of a career as a contract pilot is becoming more attactive and rewards in this area are much higher than the majors pay, but dont offer much with regard to job security. And you need significant experience on type(generally). But if you are going to spend a whole lot of money on self-education, why not consider other industries. Did you know that a 4 year Paramedic makes about $70K? The chances of "making it" in flying are becoming more difficult and with the current war and inevitable down turn in pax traffic things wont get any easier. The price of fuel is likely to rise exacerbating the issue. In about 40 years, oil will simply be too expensive to mine. Changes will need to come about shortly to introduce next generation methods of propulsion. This is assuming that there is a viable airline industry after the forthcoming economic collapse. Perhaps it will all go back to the future with re-nationalisation/re-regulation of national carriers. And if you think I'm full of 5hit on this, it's exactly what the Yanks are looking at for UA and others in/approaching Chapter 11. Personally, I would never advise my kids to take up aviation as a career.

Last edited by Sly'n Smiley; 31st Mar 2003 at 04:05.