PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 records in 1987
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2013, 19:05
Arfer Minnit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to chuck in a bit more confusion but I seem to recall that BZZ Staish, Chris Lumb took XV109 non-stop BZZ - MPN (Beg pardon, BEagle, should that be EGVN-EGYP?) on or about 19 Dec 87 and was refuelled by a VC10K launched out of ASI. Might the FAI Chit refer to OH ASI to OH Port Stanley without refuelling? I say Chris Lumb took the aircraft but, of course he was not necessarily the captain and it would have required an augmented crew to do the trip so who was driving when I couldn't say. I also remember that the record was nearly trumped a few days later when a Tristar K launched out of Brize at about 1630 on Christmas Eve to take some medical kit to treat a seriously ill soldier (I think) in FI. I heard that the turn round at ASI was completed in record time and that the total transit time to MPN, even with the stop, was not far short of the record set by the VC10 a few days earlier. Gave a whole new meaning to 216's motto "Dona Ferens" - life-saving medical kit so much more Christmassy than big black bomb! It was a good end to a week in which, I reckon, each of the Brize squadrons acquitted itself well.