PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA class 1 medical
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2003, 19:22
IRISHPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stud3 seems to look for a class 2 medical only.

for anyone looking to do a class 1 medical, here is how I did it: got myself an FAA class 1 medical (was $60), then went to my Aeromedical Examiner, who only did a renewal (the CAA UK examiner in Hamburg / Germany took €110 and threw in a free FAA medical aswell!)

You may check with your AME wether you can do your FAA medical, then renew / upgrade to a JAA medical straight away. - Don't know wether that is possible though.

The CAA Gatwick didn't like the above procedure but accepted it.

Another way: if you do not need a class one straight away, but just want to check if you could get it before going to do some US flying, book your flight to the US with Lufthansa and on your stop over in Frankfurt, do your German class one. - There is no initial, all examinations are identical. When you renew, it is a JAR medical after 1st May 2003. Cost: around €110.

Jet Breeze: If the CAA webpage states that initial JAA can only be done in the UK, then they are mistaken. A BA Captain told me the other day, that some of their initials were done in the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin. Also, the Aeromedical Centre in Amsterdam has JAA authorisation to conduct these examinations, aswell as the one in Stockholm. And I'm sure, the French wouldn't agree either.