PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian B737 Crash at Kazan.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 09:16
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Old King Coal,

of course i was answering, and my reply must be read in regards to the original thing i commented on:

Given the increasing number of incidents/accidents occurring during a go-around with all engines operative , as we perform derated TO, why do we use max thrust, and the weight is certainly lighter, and we are not provided a reduced thrust for GA?
And of course, the 737 does exactly that if one wants it. Flying manually the issue is a moot point as thrust is used manually and one can easily use less than full GA thrust as long as obstacles are not an issue.

Of course i do have a certain mental bias from flying the 737 for around 13 years now using the ARM feature and flying every ILS dual channel until the automatics are switched off, both provide better go around control and make life in that particular case quite easy. Interestingly enough the outfit i fly for does both for the last 30 years now without any problem or incident.

All in all a go around is quite a benign thing in the 737 if flown right, but apparently training in many companies is only done to the bare regulatory minimum and that can be a bad thing if the last two engine go around was flown years back during initial type rating.