PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-22 ROTOR SEPARATION? Florida Photo
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 12:45
susieqfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The area where I found blade one is only ten feet deep with a smooth hard sand bottom. The ocean is very dynamic, but that is not the case for this area of Tampa bay as it is only a couple hundred yards from shore and in an area where there is no wave/wind activity. The pieces of the cabin and the skid are exactly where they were when I found them last year.

There was much activity after the first blade was recovered, literally dozens of boats out there looking and dragging the bottom for days, so the blade may have been snagged and dragged away by somebody, but that seems unlikely.
I went to the exact area of blade two, and searched extensively but found nothing but the wreck debris previously mentioned.

A sub bottom profiler would not be of much help here, as the bottom is hard sand and I am sure the blade is on top....somewhere. As an example, not far from this crash site there is a huge 6000# anchor and about 1000 feet of monster chain on the bottom that was lost there by a phosphate cargo ship, also in 12 feet of water and the anchor and chain are still right on the surface as if they were lost yesterday, not 20 years ago. So the dynamics of the area there are few and would not cause something to sink, especially a carbon blade being as lite as it is.

So it is a mystery.....if I get bored enough I may give it one more shot as it has to be somewhere......as I hate to loose LOL......