PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ambo runway incusion
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 22:00
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was performing a low level curcuit on rwy 01
I would suggest that this probably contributed to the situation occurring. We all have a picture in our mind of how long it will take an aircraft to complete its' circuit and then someone comes along and throws in a "low level" and does a circuit in half the usual time. The ambo pilot probably thought to himself that he had plenty of time up his sleeve. I see a lot doing these "low level" circuits, presumably at 500 ft. I would have thought you'd do a low level circuit if you cruise at 50 knots, not 100.

I'll never forget the ambo pilot at Latrobe Valley that pulled out onto runway 03 a total of 3 times after quickly evacuating as there was a string of low level ultralights doing touch and go's. Every time he pulled out someone would call final. Ambo finally said on radio "I'm just trying to do my bloody job here" and he was hounded for his comment. I felt sorry for him and the passenger in the rear; probably gave him a few extra grey hairs. Wally would remember this happening (although it wasn't Wally though from memory).