PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA vs AMSA
Thread: CASA vs AMSA
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 23:06
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CASA vs AMSA

I don't understand much about AMSA, but it seems to manage its affairs without the angst, antagonism to industry, senate scrutiny or constant regulatory reform of CASA.

They both have similar operating incomes. The General shipping register lists about 12,000 vessels (similar to the number of aircraft on CASA's register) except that it has small vessel registration handled by state car registration authorities (I guess like CASA subcontracts LSA to the RAA). Both have international co-ordination activities, both have crew licensing. Both deal with small tourist operators (is a tourist yacht operation much different than a tourist scenic flight operation?).

AMSA has a SAR role that CASA doesn't and AMSA has an environment responsibility (ie oil spills, etc) that CASA doesn't. CASA has a larger high volume passenger responsibility (there are more airliners than ocean liners), but that's probably a scale issue more than a skill issue.

Maybe I just don't mix in maritime circles, but I've never heard of 5pm Friday faxes from AMSA. I can't recall 4 corners programms devoted to them. I can't recall reading newspaper articles about enquiries into their activities. I can't recall any instances of allied overseas agencies criticising AMSA's performance.

Does anyone have a perspective of both organisations?