PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian B737 Crash at Kazan.
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 19:25
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dove: the position of the trim could be much dependent upon whether they were using a dual auto-pilot (coupled) approach and were also below 400ft Rad Alt (or not) when they pressed the TOGA button (which is assuming they did indeed press the TOGA button), as that 'auto land' scenario can dramatically effect the position of the stabiliser trim, depending upon ones height above the ground.

And / or in the event of a go-around, what of Power / Attitude / Trim, along with appropriate & timely selection of flap & landing gear? And was the Auto-Throttle selected 'Off' or was it in the (non-approved, by Boeing) 'Speed-Off' mode? And what of FMA mode awareness? And following (or not) of ones Flight Director (all aside from potential somatogravic illusions,... err, what about follow your instruments, etc)?
All of these can play their part in setting an aircraft up for an 'unusual attitude' event.

And let me be so bold as to provide just ONE scenario of a poorly flown go-around in a B737....

With dual autopilots engaged in ILS Approach Mode, and captured to the ILS. A go-around is actioned when below 400ft Rad Alt. The autopilot(s) have at that point wound in nose-up stabiliser (i.e. ready for the autopilot to either flare the aircraft as part of the landing, or else primed for a go-around), and the Flight Directors are still switched on. Then, instead of pressing the TOGA button (and therein letting the 'automatics' fly the go-around), the Pilot Flying disconnects both the Autopilot & Auto-Throttle, and shoves the thrust levers fully to the firewall, i.e. electing to fly the go-around fully manually.

A likely outcome is those actions - at that point in time - would be that the aircraft would pitch dramatically nose-up... that said, if the TOGA button is not pressed then the Flight Director guidance is still to follow the ILS (and indeed the aircraft is not 'aware' that TOGA mode and all associated acceleration & combined flap retraction modes are to be utilised)... and, assuming that they are following a split-axis (cross hairs) based Flight Director, then the pitch bar of the FD will be fully 'fly down' (the queue to the active mode is being given by the FMA). Now go figure what happens next?!

And that just one example of a f-up to be had in a 737 during a go-around that I can think of... and there are lots more !

olasek: wrt
"In Boeings all go-arounds are initiated manually though you can engage A/P soon after."
.... yes, that's ostensibly true, but what happens next very much depends upon the point in space when the TOGA button was pressed (and which assumes that the TOGA was indeed pressed... see explanation above), and / or was one utilising either a single or dual auto-pilot approach prior to initiating the go-around (either manually and / or via TOGA)?!

Also, if one initiates a go-around (via a press of the TOGA button) when utilising a single autopilot based ILS approach, the first thing that happens is that the autopilot disconnects, if one then (re-)engages an autopilot (i.e. when now in TOGA mode) it then cancels the TOGA mode, and does a number of other things too, which I'll trust you are aware of ?!