PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian B737 Crash at Kazan.
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 19:29
pattern_is_full

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I mean, I wouldn't expect that it could be achieved by anything other than an astonishingly savage pull up, to near vertical climb to stall, wing over and dive....
While it obviously doesn't happen every day, it is a notorious characterisitic of aircraft with under-wing (below center of gravity) thrust lines to pitch up significantly if TOGA power is applied. It has happened before (fortunately, usually with prompt corrective action from the crew). c.f. TAROM Flight 381, 1994, Paris-Orly.

Extended lift devices (slats, flaps) can exacerbate the pitch-up tendency.

especially to remain anywhere near the vicinity of the airport security cameras?
The 747 at Bagram managed to take off, climb, stall and crash within the airport boundaries. Given that a go-around likely began well before reaching the runway threshold, I don't see why a 737 could not end up with the same results well within the airport boundaries.

I'm not saying that that is what happened in Kazan - I'm just pointing out that it is well within the realms of possibility.

One other factor I haven't seen noted yet is that Kazan is undergoing major reconstruction, with one large runway partially built, and the other perhaps a former taxiway being used as a runway (cf Google maps).

No reason this would lead to a crash directly - but the airport layout (combined with weather/visibility problems) could have contributed to confusion and the need for a go-around or multiple go-arounds (whichever turns out to be the fact.)