PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The KAL Roadshow
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2013, 12:20
kimcheejones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
777AV8R,

I agree with most of your post, especially about always getting the 'Christmas Vacation' time off, generally true. However, for being here 8 years, and having NEVER had a schedule change? That would likely make you the only pilot in KAL (and maybe the world) ever to accomplish that record. I find it difficult to believe. Schedule changes don't happen often, but they do occur. (Except for the B744 guys a year or two ago. Their schedules were regularly changing, for months on end, faster than kimchee makes you fart) And, ask those fellows that came from Emirates to KAL. They were Expats before KAL, but to hear them talk, their transtion from EK was not easy at all.

As far as the 'cultural' points that have been mentioned here. Many of the F/O's are most certainly NOT happier working with their own. Some of the crustier Korean National Captains treat them like ****. You can see the tension in the other F/O' if you end up on a full crew long haul.

.. Also there is still a significant problem with communication. Some of the Pursers/crew do not speak English well at all. Most get by, but some can be quite poor. Imagine, smoke in the cabin... if the person on the other end of the interphone has difficuty with English, how well/bad might it turn out?

And also, a relatively new developement in the contract. You are now confirmed Economy class on your deadhead home, upgradeable Business. It does not happen often at all, but that one time the company sends you home, maybe a 12-13 hour flight, as a KAL Captain, in Economy.. yer gonna be pissed.

I will, however, give them full credit where it's due. When you request your 9 days off (+ 2days vacation if you want) each month, that is pretty much cast in stone. And the maintenance is certainly the best I've seen. I think most of the expat's would also agree.

KJ

Last edited by kimcheejones; 16th Nov 2013 at 13:55.