PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ Erebus crash 28 November 1979 - 34 years later.
Old 15th Nov 2013, 09:10
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TE901 CFIT

Having operated into and out of McMurdo during the summer of 1978 I can claim to have some first hand knowledge of the perils of operating in the area. As I recall we kept HF skeds with McMurdo getting an update on the Viz and Horizon definition conditions prevailing. If the trend was toward a White-out we returned to Christchurch before reaching PNR.

Whilst I do not claim to recall in detail the sequence of events which led to the loss of TE901 I believe, as been stated previously by others, that the aircraft was allowed to descend below MSA without meeting the criteria laid down. As sad as it is it seems to me that the accident was a clear case of CFIT which was aviodable. We can never bring back those lost but we can, and should, all learn from this tragic event.

It does none of us any credit to continue to denigrate the reputation of any involved in either the accident or the investigation of it. It is 34 long years ago, let it rest.