PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can afford living in Dubai?
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2013, 08:09
falconeasydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Effoh, you are comparing apples with oranges, particularly if you are comparing costs. I'm not saying 6000 Euro's is bad money, far from it, its spectacular for a first year RYR F/O.
The big thing about comparisons is they need to be valid, (and I'm not being an EK cheer leader, but just the same its worth putting the facts out there)
As a new F/O here, expect the basic salary plus around and extra 3500 DHS flight pay, 12.5% of the basic is paid by the company into a provident fund in lieu of a pension etc, you also get FREE accommodation, and ostensibly FREE utilities. If you have kids most of the fees are paid, and you get an interest free loan that can go towards a % of the purchase of a vehicle. I forgot to mention subsidized medical and dental care (its not free, and can be a pain to get an appointment)
There are those here that due to certain lifestyle choices struggle to survive, particularly as F/O's.
To have a similar package back in the UK, including housing and schooling (I have done the maths for oooop north as its where the missus is from) would be equilvalent to about 110-115K GBP.
Yes costs have risen in Dubai, but to be honest due to my use of various opportunities to save a bit here and there, we are actually putting more money away now than ever.