PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polycystic Kidney Disease - Class 1
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 18:57
Jjimmyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polycystic Kidney Disease - Class 1

Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with PKD. Does anyone know if this precludes the possibility of getting an initial easa class 1 medical? I found this JAA extract that would seem to presume that it does..

8.1 Polycystic kidneys

Polycystic kidneys are frequently asymptomatic and the individual may be unaware of his condition in the absence of a recognised family history. If the individual is aware of his condition, even if asymptomatic, then the potential for acute colic, infection, development of hypertension
and renal failure, and the association with berry aneurysm and subarachnoid haemorrhage precludes initial Class 1 certification. If symptomatic, restricted recertification may be considered by the AMS with careful follow-up and assessment. Minor degrees of asymptomatic polycystic kidney may be considered by the AMS, for initial and renewal Class 2 certification following
investigation and follow-up.

I'm also a glider pilot and whilst I know this doesn't affect my group 2 DVLA medical declaration, could it have an effect on the LAPL medical we will be transitioning to?

Many thanks!