PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victa Airtourer Engine Mounting
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2013, 11:40
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The Airtourer Co-op has an engine mount available but it's expensive!!

Both of the airframes I intend to use in the rebuild suffered from "lack of fuel" and a subsequent nose leg collapse at low speed in a field!

How the fuel gauge could be made so inaccurate I have no idea. My old Auster with it's mechanical gauge consistently under read by 3 gallons on the ground and 2 gallons in the air! The Airtourer gauge reading only randomly bears any realationship with what the dipstick tells you! One thing I'm toying with as part of the rebuild is to replace the bag tank with a solid tank and a modern, accurate, fuel measuring system assuming the CAA will allow such heresy to be done to a certified airframe!

The trim system may be lifted from the lawnmower but the handling feels like it was lifted from wherever the DH Chipmunk handling came from! It handles much, much better than anything produced by Cessna or Piper since 1950. It's certainly far nicer than the Aerobat that I started off with way back when. It also nips along at 100-105 knots on 115hp. I'm looking forward to rebuilding a T5 150hp with VP prop so that a bit of grunt is combined with the fine handling.

It also has the very clever flaperon system that droops the ailerons to give more lift from the 26' span wings without losing roll authority yet still giving a great roll response. Look up Airtourer aerobatics on Youtube there are some neat little vids there.

Mr. Millicer certainly built a lot of fun into such a little aeroplane!!