PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Breathing Systems
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 22:02
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The bottle mounted on the vest/survival suit and the mouthpiece was up by the mouth
I needed something that would not interfere with operation of the laptop control of a stabilised camera, so waist worn kit is too bulky.
I sewed the holster for the small heeds into my life vest, making sure it did not interfere with inflation and its ability to keep the wearer facing up.
It is vertical on the left breast so the mouthpiece can be reached by turning ones head if need be. (same mouthpiece position as used by kayakers )
I'd recommend professional training with it on a HUET course and refreshers in a pool.

Refilling abroad can be done at a dive shop. One dive shop didn't like the look of the spare air cylinder but sold me a scuba tank and let me fill it myself.
Having a scuba tank at home to refill the HEEDs is convenient and allows for regular checks and practice.

Whilst on the subject of being turned upside down and sinking and most relevant to those who have had a perforated eardrum, is the possibility of the weakened eardrum perforating again, filling with water and completely stuffing up your sense of balance.
Happened to me in a diving pool at 4 meters and despite seeing the pool bottom, walls and bright lights above, my balance urged me to swim sideways. I was cognisant enough to feel the water poring in and immediately rationalised that I had to follow my eyes not my balance.
Due to the effects of vertigo, I couldn't stand for 5 minutes when I flopped out of the pool.

I didn't realise that sudden flooding of cold water in a warm ear canal can also cause vertigo.
>Vertigo

Mickjoebill