PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can afford living in Dubai?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 12:48
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glofish: Fair point, albeit I would counter that the schools & education here are ****! (imho), so I sent them back from whence they came, and wherein the additional costs involved with that are minimal (remembering that the FZ 'A' scaler contract provide an allowance for overseas education costs... though latterly issued FZ contracts do not), along with the intangible benefit that our lads are much happier being 'home' (and, coupling that with the responsibility of living 'home alone', they have thrived... I couldn't be prouder!).

Perhaps the point is this... some folk, as soon as they arrive here in Dubai, get themselves involved in a veritable mountain of debt. Big loan for that new car they could 'never afford' in their home country, or maybe even two cars ('coz the wife wants one as well, doesn't she, and that extra bit on the loan, well hey ho, eh?!)?! Swanky apartment, nicely furnished. Out on the town and living the high-life; and, err, but the groceries ain't cheap, and neither are utilities (well someone's got to subsidise the locals), and in fact bugger all here is cheap (aside from petrol), and the benefits of the EPC are not what they used to be, eh?!... and next thing you know you're into a heap of financial pain and wondering why you're struggling (even with what looks to be a good salary to back it all up).... whilst maybe not applicable to yourself, does it sound familiar?!

Last edited by Old King Coal; 8th Nov 2013 at 13:06.