PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can afford living in Dubai?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 11:45
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
av8tordude: a nicely succinct assessment of the situation !

Fwiw, my wife & I reside in Dubai, she doesn’t work, and our lads are at school / college overseas.

Putting some numbers to it: as a line-pilot in FZ (albeit as a Captain on the so-called ‘A’ scale), for the previous 12 months (with 850 block hours) I've earned (including allowances for housing and transport):
707,520 Dhs / $192,784 USD / £120,490 GBP of tax free income (and that’s not including the amount for ‘End of Service Gratuity’ that will come when I eventually leave).
On a per annum basis, I pay:
99,000 Dhs for a large (2,050 sq’ft) unfurnished apartment with 2x beds + maids, etc..

19,800 Dhs for renting a small car, with the insurance, maintenance, licensing, etc, all paid by Dollar Rentacar (I pay for rental & petrol, only)

8,030 Dhs for DEWA

8,114 Dhs for PalmCooling

5,040 Dhs for DU 16 Mb home internet + 1Gb mobile data package

108,000 Dhs towards into my pension plan.
So, with the above (basics) fully covered, I’m left with just 459,536 Dhs / $125,214 USD / £78,259 GBP (per annum) for spending on women & booze (if only the wife would let me! ) and the rest I squander... I really don't know how we manage ?!

From the outset we recognised that the Middle East is a nought but a temporary opportunity to earn some half-decent coin, without being taxed to death for the privilege and, accordingly and with an eye to the future (a future that's doesn't involve Dubai), we tend to live a quiet life; though, on the flip-side, ones bank balance is looking decidedly healthy, and I'm looking forward to quitting aviation just as soon as one of the two buckets is full.

Last edited by Old King Coal; 9th Nov 2013 at 02:48. Reason: to state my rank and that confirm that elements of my allowances are included in the figure for total earnings.