PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PoWs on parade
Thread: PoWs on parade
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2003, 04:25
Ali Barber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say there is a hint of hypocrisy over the US reaction to the showing of these POWs on TV. The western TV channels have been showing Iraqi POWs since day one, and sight of their faces is likely to have severe consequences for their families back in Iraqi/Sadaam controlled territory. At what distance does the cameraman have to be for it to be within the terms of the Geneva Convention? I am sure that if I personally knew some of those Iraqi POWs I could have recognmised them from some of the western coverage.

As for the coverage of the dead bodies. Apart from the lack of respect showed to the dead (commented on my muslim colleagues incidentally), does anyone recall the coverage of the road of death in Gulf War 1? I suppose you could say that even their mothers wouldn't have recognised them from their burnt away skulls.

Lets start talking Geneva Convention when serious breaches and mistreatment starts occurring - which, unfortunately, probably will happen in the not too distant future.

By the way, I am not pro-Iraq. I support the war against Sadaam's regime and have nothing but admiration for our people involved, and especially their treatment of EPOWs as they are being called on the US networks.