PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth About the Big 6 U.S. Airlines?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2003, 03:36
Shock Stall

I think the US is the only place you’ll find ‘cheap’ gas. I would suggest the Government doesn’t tax it much, which leads to the Gas Guzzling, environment destroying, mounds of metal we call SUV’s making lame attempts to park or mounting the kurb so the sole occupant of the vehicle can use the cashpoint.

I nearly pissed myself laughing when I discovered that the fuel prices on the Kadena Air Force Base in Okinawa (Japan) are the same as on the American Mainland. The military has to take a little piece of the ‘states everywhere they go – right down to the price of fuel!

Filling up in ‘Japan’ (ie. Outside the base) costs about 3 times the price. So the military are filling up their mostly sensible cars (you can’t get those ridiculous monstrosities over there) on American tax payer subsidies, just so they can ‘feel at home'!

Can’t complain though…..saved me a bundle

If you want cheap training, go to New Zealand. Low Dollar = cheap fuel = cheap training. (only if you're spending foreign Dollars though, otherwise the fuel is just as expensive as the rest of the world – except the US obviously)