PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTO due FO fail to call speed/incapacitation
Old 6th Nov 2013, 18:33
ricfly744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTO due FO fail to call speed/incapacitation

Dear all,

I am a B777 Capt, and will have a RTO scenario in my upcoming SIM were the FO will not call 80kt and in consequence, based on the PILOT INCAPACITATION perspective, I will STOP.

My points and questions:

In my SOP, any fail to respond a CALLOUT bellow 1000ft AGL, is immediately considered incapacitation, and a Go Around mandatory. Nothing is specific on TO, however being bellow 1000', we may apply the same principal.

So, the FO does not call 80Kt, and I immediately reject ….. that simple! OK for the SIM, examiner is happy and we save time and go on to the next exercise.

But I am not happy as I believe this is not so simplistic and I would like to receive your feedback about it. I just wish to explore this a bit more and learn with it.

In my 25y airline time, I have a few times forgot to call 80Kt as PM, and in other occasions the FO also missed the call and no one rejected in real flights because of this.
I also read somewhere, I cannot find where now, that it is acceptable to call 90Kt when the 80 call is not made, or the PF may make the call when the PM does not, and no one stops in such cases, considering that the other pilot is incapacitated. Another point is that I never read anywhere in all RTO related material, FCTM, QRH, that pilot incapacitation is added to reasons to reject above 80kt (high speed RTO in the 777) as are: ENG FAIL, FIRE, PREDICTED WS or A/C Unable to fly. Everybody states in the preflight emergency briefing that will ONLY STOP FOR: the reasons above, never heard for incapacitation.

I will end up performing the "theatre" which is expected in the SIM and make the examiner happy by not starting a debate on the briefing, however it is sad that we must act this way, and not learn more and discuss in a positive way some SOP, SIM or real flight issues. Best not to in most cases with most people.

But I can do it here, with you, and would appreciate any material on the matter or personal experience and opinion.