PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is the next cull at QF Engineering?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2013, 13:37
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jethro you must know the wrong guys.

To genuinely believe that a proposal to allow us to take up to 5 months unpaid leave (depending on which version of the proposal is believable)
There is only one version. Some people may be telling you porky pies but you can't get it more from the horses mouth than me publishing it here. It is up to 3 months LWOP in 2014 only and none in 2015.

To be absolutely blunt, don't they get paid by us and therefore work for us?
Totally. It is an honour to Represent my former workmates. This situation is extremely emotive. What we have done was well thought out, based on member surveys and feedback and better than the other unions or Qantas/Forstaff who have thrown up nothing. If accepted by Qf the vote will be yours.

Right now I think the focus and the best and possibly only thing left to do is pursue a better redundancy clause in our EBA negotiations
This is not a better strategy. Please think it through. The plan of the company is to sack the workers. Most workers want a job. If we walk in and say we want better redundancy payouts they will just say no. We can ask 100 times, the answer will be the same. Why would a company that faces millions of dollars in payouts just agree to add to that amount? If we take action they will just shut down. They planned to anyway.

Romulus things are not looking solid for Avalon's long term prospects but there opportunities on the horizon. Aviation is growing and aircraft will need to be maintained somewhere. Melbourne is spreading West and in 20 years it will be as busy as Adelaide may be today.

Don't give up guys. The ALAEA haven't. We meet again with Qantas 12pm next Wed.