PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is the next cull at QF Engineering?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2013, 11:22
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's truly a big disappointment that despite spending 6 weeks seeking a solution, (or so they say) Qantas was unable to find one.
Under the ALAEA proposal, if agreed, jobs might be saved for a time. I say might, because this is not an honourable company.

And no, they can't go to the floor with the proposal first. They need to find something that COULD keep your jobs and then bring it back. Avalon is a disaster to try and keep afloat, the whitespace is a killer. Give Steve and the ALAEA credit for tying to find something to keep you going.
Absolutely, and the the fact is that negotiations for EBA's are carried out in similar circumstances coming at a time when there is disagreement and rejection of a company's offer. New ground to "get the deal done and accepted by the work force" is found by thinking differently.
The ALAEA is not just a conduit for good news and bad news. Their job is to improve the lot of their members whatever form that takes. When the jobs of their members are threatened by lack of business in this case, they have to find ways to improve the outcome.
I have never seen any other union do anything other than roll over or engage in some fruitless, pointless industrial action.

I hope that some common sense prevails here, but I'm not confident that Forstaff and Qantas will agree to a proposal put by the ALAEA because it WAS the ALAEA.