PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Airline Preparation Programme.
Old 22nd Mar 2003, 20:24
witchdoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sally

Interesting post, especially the research you appear to have made into being able to quantify your opinions - I really do think you must be far too sensible to be a pilot

Seriously though, as an ex-OAT stude myself, many of the comments posted here are sadly rather familiar, but I have to admit to a certain amount of surprise at the poor pass rates on the flying side at OAT. Do these figures include the efforts of the rather large numbers of Algerian students who have passed through OAT in recent years?

If so, then it would be hardly surprising to discover a poor pass rate as the overall application to achieving an acceptable standard of flying was often worse than poor (not applicable to all Algerian students as there were some exceptionally dedicated and skillful individuals, but sadly the majority it seems) and would hence drag down the school average. On a purely anecdotal basis, I was aware of a very good rate of first-time passes amongst the remainder of the students and would be shocked if this was significantly worse than elsewhere.

Additionally, the choice of routes for the IRT may also be a factor. OAT have 2 CAA examiners on site, and a favourite route is Coventry - Cranfield with 2 of the nastiest procedures in the area and an increased opportunity to cock it all up. I'm sure many other schools use these same airfields, but it may be that OAT perhaps recieve it more often than most due to the proximity to Oxford and the 'home advantage' at Cabair perhaps means they receive an NDB procedure there less often.

Flying Dwarf

Have you been at the Stella again my vertically challenged friend? Not all the BA cadets were that bad. Perhaps your recent experience at Cranebank has affected you badly - just think of a nice afternoon trip backseating the ILS at Filton with Chuckles and Ginger. Now doesn't that feel better already?

Luv you mate