PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B748i or A380 order?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2013, 03:13
ETOPS240

threethirty

Certainly it sounds like your experience was more positive than mine on BA. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years since I flew with them. Hopefully an increase in their service standards will cause CX to re-align their definition of premium service. After all, CX are generally much more expensive to book with.

Twotigers, I've used A380s many times. It is quieter, and some operators have a stand-up bar. That's terrific! Otherwise, I personally don't get the hype. I don't find it more roomy, unless I'm looking sideways. After all, it's a two deck aircraft in an airframe that isn't twice as deep. I'm not disagreeing with you though, it's certainly nicer. How much so is obviously subjective, which determines whether it's worth forgoing your 35 options a week on CX. Clearly, the CX consensus - which I happen to agree with - is that passengers (or at least the yield worthy ones) will favour the frequency options.

I think that an A380 order would paint CX into a corner. Great when they're full (of decent yield payload), otherwise a huge gamble, and not worth the risk. It's all well and good pointing out increasing market share, missing the boat etc... but conservative judgement is something that's done CX well since it's inception. Rapid expansions and risk taking is something that has killed off a huge number of airlines. If it weren't for government aid in many countries, that number would be much, much greater.

I'm not in any way a CX apologist, and I'd like them to increase their customer appeal. I think the way to do this is to reinstate proper salt and pepper shakers, and use product and service to lure the punters. I think CX hard product is excellent, but the darling has always been service. Look at where it once was. This is the area where CX need to pour resources. Having the cabin ceiling 1 foot higher in a 380 is always going to be overshadowed by attentive, caring crew.

I have a couple of friends who are very prolific first and business fliers, largely on CX. Top-tier membership and all that guff. Their comments are very closely aligned; the product is great, as are frequencies. The service, whilst still good, is certainly diminishing.

These are the types of passengers CX relies upon. Frequent business travellers in premium cabins. They couldn't care less about the A/C type. They do want to be somewhat pampered for the hundreds of thousands of USD they spend each year though.

This is a relatively cheap fix, and one that would cement high yield bums on seats. It just takes the right attitude to implement.