PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Boeing 777 dirty dive at Melbourne 34
Old 30th Oct 2013, 00:01
maui

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Potsie

If this is an SOP, it must be published somewhere. It would be helpful if you could advise where such publication lurks, cos I am stuffed if I have seen it.

If it is not published in a controlled document, it is not an SOP. On that basis "caveat emptor" would be appropriate.

This is a relatively straight forward VISUAL procedure. The STAR finishes at SHEED and the charts used by this crew indicate a visual segment from that point. Why o why do we continue to complicate our job by fiddling with boxes, when a good old mk 1 eyeball is what is required.

In days of old, (before it was called SHEED and before 250 below 10) this approach was regularly flown at up to 300 clean at the 26 EN threshold, then stabilised at 500. And that is before we had glass and stabilised criteria. It was even done by F/O's and graduate cadets, (horror).

That is not to suggest that we can indulge in that style of operation in today's environment, nor should we. It does however suggest that this approach is not overly difficult for a crew that is on top of their game.

If the weather is crappy, don't do the SHEED, it's a VISUAL approach. If you are tired and not feeling up to it, don't do the SHEED, have ago at one of the less stressful options. If you choose to do SHEED (if your company will let you), don't complicate it with unecessary procedures, and above all look out the friggin window, it's a visual approach.
If you think it is beyond you when well rested and in visual conditions, look for another line of work. It aint rocket science!

These comments are not directed at the crew of this particular flight as I have little knowledge of who what when or why. These comments are directed at the mish mash of pious drivel appearing in the thread, many of whose contributors clearly have issues, real or imagined.

Feels better

M

Last edited by maui; 30th Oct 2013 at 00:53.