PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Boeing 777 dirty dive at Melbourne 34
Old 27th Oct 2013, 20:35
donkey123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny thing is, you would expect the guys that chuck the automatics in at 500' and take them out at similar altitude the other end to be fairly 'current' when it comes to managing the automatics versus the guy that regularly hand flys to transition and on approach (when conditions permit).

In my experience that's not really case. I haven't flown the Victor approach to 34 for a couple of years, but in my observations the guys that regularly relied on the automatics were the same ones who started playing piano on the MCP once passed Sheed then quickly disconnected and battled with the machine all the way to touchdown. This is usually followed by some statement about that "bloody vnav" on the taxi in.

So it's a double edged sword, the guys that don't regularly practice hand flying seem to be the same guys that have to disconnect (unplanned) and hand fly after mismanaging the automatics on approach.

I guess it's kinda what keg was just saying, you need that currency one day when it all goes wrong.

Last edited by donkey123; 27th Oct 2013 at 20:36.