PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2013, 01:33
LAX_LHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nowhere do I suggest 'wiping' large swathes of existing housing from
anywhere. Where did that idea come from
I know you didn't suggest that. My point stemmed from the fact that if an incident were to happen, whether it be over Shadowmoss or Stockport, its going to happen in an uncontrollable event, and there is only so much space you can 'keep clear' for that just in case situation. Just as an incident at shadowmoss was cited, an incident at Stockport has also been cited so, should we just stop at car parks under the approach lights being built, or should we go the full hog and keep a full 10 miles under final approach clear for that 'just in case' moment too?

As you say, I'm sure H&S boxes have been ticked, but expedient saving on
construction costs is clearly triumphant over real-world safety precautions in this instance
So by this statement, are you saying that the car park is unsafe? Im genuinely unsure as in one breath you state you are sure H&S has been met, but then state no thought given for real world precautions in another breath?

But it only takes one slip to break that cycle so there is no room for
complacency if we want our good run to continue
Huh? A crash is a crash. It is a dark cloud that hangs over an airport regardless of what it takes out on the ground?

Look, you obviously feel very strongly that this car park is somehow unsafe and that some sort of 'carmageddon' will ensue in a crash. You talk about 'real world' situations but the real world situation is that the proverbial will hit the fan regardless of where an airliner crashes. Fields or cars, I would not like to be on any airliner that crashes (obviously) and I can honestly say that I do not feel any worry knowing I am landing over a car park.

At the end of the day, if you feel strongly that green space has been lost, that is one argument, but, Im not sure where this fear of aircraft crashing into cars has stemmed from. As pointed out, car parks in these locations is a practice taken at many airports and it all seems to run smoothly elsewhere, and with only 1 incident of an aircraft landing short at MAN, then I think the residents of South Manchester have no more need to worry than they usually do.....