PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW3 Battle of Britain
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2013, 21:53
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't think, also, that many readers realise that this formidable system used a memory feeble Argos 700 series computer (Am I right?) programmed using a jam-jar of graphite pegs.
The Argus 700 was the new computer, with hundreds of Kb of RAM memory, data tape loading of software and a 20Mb Hard Drive the size of the shoe box.

The Argus 200 computer in the LCP Mk 1 was 1Kb of magnetic ferrite core store RAM, with the computer program pinned into a number of trays using ferrite pegs (the graphite pegs) like a cribbage board (4Kb of program store). No intergated circuits either, all the switches were transistors on pull out cards).

I assume that you were a Sgt/Chf Tech engineer whilst I was the snotty operator?
Only in my dreams while on Bloodhound, arrived at Kings Lynn station in late July 85 as a just turned 19 year old, just passed out of trade training JT to be told I was going to be fixing missiles (which was my original plan of getting posted on Bloodhound and never leaving Norfolk (That plan didn't work seeing that I've done Saxa Vord to Mt Alice and Byron Heights to Al Kharj and very few nice places in between since then)). Actually went in a LCP Mk 1 three times (once in early 85 at WR as part of an operational site visit in trade training, once at Newton at the start of the missile course in Apr 86 and on a site visit to North Coates as part of the missile course in Aug 86 which was a complete waste of a day). Did get shown around the prototype Mk 2 LCP which was undergoing trials at Newton at the end of the missile course (the one that Ferranti really screwed the design up on). Loved working on the missiles as I got put on the defect MOTE (Missile Overall Test Equipment). so I was spending a lot of time fault finding and really learnt my trade on the dog.

Have actually done a bit of SAM operating myself though, on the 6 wheel wagon on this video up in the wilds of Cumbria

Normally I'd be that guy at 4.17 having a ciggy when stood outside the SA-8, but not when the radars were transmitting, let alone letting loose a missile (which we didn't have anyway). Toasted inside and out would be effect on that bloke in real life

In fact was quite impressed with the way the Russians used valves on the kit in the video, until I discovered that BH1 had used similar methods 20 years earlier than the Russian kit!!!

I actually started researching Bloodhound after I found out the Swiss had preserved a complete missile section on the internet and started a website about it (which long since died seeing I've not had time to maintain it or do research). About 18 months ago I was contacted by an ex 25 Sqn T86 guy who has started up a preservation group to try and protect what remains of the Mk 2 equipment in the museums, as they are starting to rot because nobody will maintain anything bar the missiles and launchers (because they look cool). The main two aviation museums in the UK got everything needed to set up a two launcher T86 section (bar the secret and confidential bits), in the case of one, they have made efforts to protect the some of the kit not on display, the other one didn't and to avoid the LCP and T86 being scrapped, the group got ownership of them. The intent is for them to be displayed at Filton when the new museum there opens (along with a complete Mk 1 missile, Launcher and Trailer plus Mk 2 missile and Launcher along with other Bloodhound related bits).

I'll send you a link the group on a PM, as we are a bit short in knowledge on operating an LCP.

Last edited by MAINJAFAD; 30th Nov 2013 at 00:30.