PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE - RADIO CALLS advice please
Old 20th Oct 2013, 11:49
Gingerbread Man

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
R/T training is probably useful, as I assume that anyone talking to me on a frequency will understand the phraseology i'll use. Obviously if the message isn't getting through, i'll say things in plain language, but sometimes things are just read back without understanding I think.

At the place I used to work, we'd tell aircraft doing an engine run to 'maintain a listening watch'. Often, on completion, they'd call and say 'xxx complete - thanks for the listening watch'. That to me suggests a bit of misunderstanding about what that instruction is asking for. This was highlighted when an aircraft doing a high power run suddenly started pouring out thick smoke. After a couple of attempts to alert the engineers with no response, the fire service were called. The engineers only started responding on the frequency when they realised that their aircraft was surrounded by fire vehicles.

Apparently it was a new engine, so they expected that to happen. If they'd been listening out, they could have told me that and prevented an unnecessary call out. The point of all this is that I believe it is more important for engineers on frequency to know why ATC ask for certain things and why it's important, than to know exactly how to compose an emergency message.

Last edited by Gingerbread Man; 20th Oct 2013 at 11:52. Reason: Because it required editing, OK?! Jeez...