PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was this winch necessary?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2013, 09:36
Treg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CYHeli, a strop is fitted under the shoulders and high up the back for maximum comfort. However, the longer someone is suspended the less comfort their is, and the greater the weight pulling down on the shoulders will increase the level of discomfort.

Thanks Crab, I am familiar with the 'nappy' style harness but guess I must be one of the few yet to hear it described as a bosun's chair. I picture a wooden seat with rope rigging as used by a 'bosun' for painting the side of a ship, hence my standard equipment question.

I agree that analysis with the benefit of hindsight can be seen as an ignorant smear on those faced with eyes on decisions associated with real-world operations. But as previously stated, my intent is not to condemn the crew, but to evaluate the bigger picture process of SAR training and operations in Australia. And for the record, I know what it is like to be judged after a SAR task has gone wrong, despite repeated requests for greater training and equipment falling on deaf ears.