PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AVG search engine
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2013, 22:02
StainesFS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are certainly getting quite naughty.

My update to AVG 2014 went through a couple of weeks ago. Near the end of the installation, the usual message came up with a small paragraph of text followed by two tick boxes each next to an option "load AVG ***" where *** is some AVG "service". Since I didn't want either, and the boxes were empty I started to click on OK at the bottom of the page to finish the update. Fortunately, just before doing this, I noticed a third tick box, on its own, above the text. Because of its position away from the other tick boxes, it could easily be missed.

I thought no more of this until reading this thread. I cannot remember whether the third tick box was pre-filled with a tick or what the option was but it could well have been the reason behind the appearance of AVG Search on the OP's computer. I do know that SWMBO fell victim to the same thing. (The search program was easily uninstalled in the normal way via Control Panel).

I have always been very happy with AVG. However, if they continue to use what seems to be underhand tactics, I (and I am sure many others) will start to look elsewhere.

AVG be warned!

SFS