PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concerned parent... mortgage sized training fees
Old 15th Oct 2013, 08:38
JonEverton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post training. Employment.

To all concerned parents.

I strongly advise you to read the thread I started detailing my experiences of the employment market post training:

fATPL Now What ?

I ditched a decent job and profession to follow the dream.
I heavily researched the job market and knew what I was getting into.

Things change quickly in aviation, namely the minimum experience requirements to be employable. This is not on a whim by the airlines, this is on the whole driven my the few big insurance conglomerates and more importantly the P&I Clubs / Co-Operatives.

Flying is a hard nut to crack, It is very much the catch 22, chicken and egg scenario for the newly qualified.

My situation is explained in my post link above, I have real commitments that (most) 19 year olds do not have to contend with such as house and family.

My advice is do it young.
BUT if you are a parent about to blow £120k on an integrated course I would sit your lad down and just explain how hard the general job market it and how long it takes to earn that sort of money.

If your nipper hasn't had a proper job and doesn't understand the value of the training then make them go find a job and learn some life lessons for a year before pumping your retirement / property equity / cash into a flash in the pan dream. They will value the whole experience much more in the end.

I have seen it - teenagers on these integrated (and modular) courses that have never had a job and don't have a clue about making a cup of tea let alone the realities of getting up and earning a wage.

Completing a training course is one thing - real life is another story as we all know.