PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concerned parent... mortgage sized training fees
Old 14th Oct 2013, 19:47
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will help my kids, but not with cash!

My eldest son would like to be a pilot. I'll help him all I can, but not with cash. That is for a few reasons. Firstly, I'll have to help all I my kids and I don't have the cash. Secondly it's a gamble I don't want to take. He will almost certainly finish a course and get a licence, but he'll the have to buy a type rating and by the looks of things - pay to work! That's not a job. Worse than that, there's every chance that with only a few hours (350 on type) he'll still be looking for a job. I'm not prepare to put our house on the line for that. Thirdly, if he pays, he'll have more of an incentive to work hard on his course. The harder you work, the better you get!

I truly feel very sorry for the poor souls learning to fly at the moment. The market is awash with newbies, all waiting to fly for nothing. My advice would be pay for him to get a Gas Safe Registation & Part P so that he can charge top rate in the building trade. That will give a return on the investment and with future income, fund a modular course. This will also make him value what he's doing, what he's done and make him more interesting to fly with. It will also mean he can walk away from a job offering pathetic Ts & Cs.

Remember, the easy bit it learning to fly. The difficult bit is getting a job and at the moment the hardest thing of all is making it pay!

Best of luck.