PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concerned parent... mortgage sized training fees
Old 14th Oct 2013, 10:58
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The last real pilot shortage was back in the late 80's. Back then people were walking straight into airline positions the same day that their "blue book" came through the letterbox! Those days are long gone. Since then the supply of "fresh meat" over demand has gradually got greater and greater despite expansion of the industry and airline pay and benefits have naturally been eroded. Yes, it is still possible to have good pay and lifestyle in companies like BA but your son will need to get onto the future pilot programme to achieve that and competition is very intense to get in. The low cost carriers are, to my mind to be avoided. In future it will all be pay to fly schemes and zero hour contracts & thats after £80-100k spent. I'm told some people have had to go bankrupt just to afford to feed themselves! Not good. Training schools only make money training people, after that they dont care and a commercial pilots licence is useless without a job at the end of it. Yes, of course, aircraft need pilots and they dont appear by magic out of nowhere but please understand some will go straight into a super job, others will get an ok job, work very hard and perhaps move several times and gradually build their career up, others will NEVER get a job. All this depends less on ability (all have met the same standard) but more on things like right place at the right time & does your face fit. I'll admit that i got a lucky break right after i qualified. Some these days, many in fact are not so fortunate. Its career "Russian roulette" in aviation at the moment. I cannot tell you what the exact odds are, but its become a very high stakes game and there are certainly no guarantees. Would i start out to become a pilot these days? NO.