Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2013, 14:20
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
various

Consultation on Aberdeen airspace changes:
CAA proposals to replace Class F airspace with a Class E could have unintended/unforeseen consequences for Aberdeen, leading to increased controller workload, in turn leading to possible delays and holding. The CAA are therefore proposing amendments to their proposals specific to EGPD to alleviate the issue, which are out for consultation. Link:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2716/20131...onDocument.pdf
Also driven by the airport expecting continued growth related to North Sea activity.
(First seen posted in Rotorheads).

Virgin Little Red:
It does seem Virgin's efforts to gain a foothold on the domestic UK Regional - Heathrow market generally is, to put it charitably, off to a slow start. You would think that as far as ABZ is concerned, with a >600k market to/from LHR, you could get a better share of that. But seems BA are all-powerful, with frequency mopping up the majority of traffic, and their global network reach providing all the connections you need for onward travel. Plus of course, the LCY route for those with London as a final destination will be impacting any competition. Interesting to see if Virgin stick it out to at least the end of the period they have the slots.

Flybe:
Note the comments about the E175 for the winter, flying MAN. Is the total freq on the route to be only 3x times a day all 175, or is it 3x 175, with remainder operated by a non-based Dash?

East Side:
Reports in the Scottish Air News mag I subscribe to notes the possibility of changes on this side of the airfield, which may restrict or block views from the mound at the back of Cordyce. With Bond expanding on the east apron, reported that this could mean a new hangar facility for Gama beside the existing bmiR hangar, with Flying Club aircraft, as well as the GAT, moving in front of that (where would you put Trump's 757 - close 23 presumably). Lot of people will miss the open views you get of the main runway the mound affords, but airport success/expansion is paramount (I no longer frequent the mound anyway!! )

West Side:
Same report lists the possibility of:
i. Dove hangar becoming the new 'snow base'
ii. Caledonian moving from the Dove to a new facility on the east side
iii. DHL ops moving over to where the current snow base is

Personally, I'm still hoping for a change of airport owner!!!