PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly Bpl - Is It The Beginning Of The End???
Old 10th Oct 2013, 13:18
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly hiding the insurance SCAM in the small print is not on, I doubt anyone is actually told they are hiring 3rd party insurance only!
Yes, I wondered a few years ago why flying clubs and schools never insisted on 'blood chits' anymore.

The reason is obvious now I've thought about it and looked into the implications in more detail.

This Thread has been useful in that regard if no other.

You're not covered because you accept full liability for ALL losses, save that of negligence by the flying school and it's 'servants and agents'.

Although I deal with insurance and the law in the course of my business and profession, I'm not an expert in the sense that I know the precise common law situation and whether any precedents have been set recently in this regard (in other words are the terms and conditions legal in all respects?).

I can only imagine that they are because the case I highlighted above has the hallmark of a professionally drafted set of terms and conditions - with advice (no doubt) being taken from the legal and insurance professions?

So the answer is clear - fly and/or instruct at your peril because whether you take 'reasonable care' or are 'negligent' you APPEAR to be liable in any event!

WIVES love this sort of thing - NOT!!!

When you go home tonight tell her that not only should she worry about you aviating for a hobby in the first place - with all its perceived risks - but that if you are ever killed in a light aeroplane accident, in the weeks after she buries you, and before she has time to grieve, she will probably have her house, car and possessions taken away as well in the ensuring insurance claim!!!

Just the thing to put a right old spanner in the works!

Last edited by SpannerInTheWerks; 10th Oct 2013 at 13:39.