PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly Bpl - Is It The Beginning Of The End???
Old 9th Oct 2013, 17:47
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Yeti

What it won't cover is the injury, hospitalisation etc of the pilot
- and any damage to the aircraft and/or any consequential loss suffered by a passenger or third party.

Yes, in my mind there is some confusion.

I always believed when flying in a club/school environment, as a club member, the insurance provided by the club/school was the equivalent of a 'fully comprehensive' car insurance policy.

When you took passengers (non-club members) flying they became temporary members (signed a 'blood chit') which effectively gave them the benefits of the insurance cover provided for the member pilot.

It seems the insurance which is actually available is 'third party only' - with the passenger not being a club/school member and treated as if they were a member of the public under a company's Public Liability Insurance.

The hapless pilot does not seem to be covered at all? Not being a 'third party' and not having cover as a consequence of any vicarious liability of the club - I wonder where instructors fit into this, particularly if they're 'self-employed'?

So, the wording of the Pilot Flying Order Book does seem to reflect this state of affairs where the pilot is liable for any loss suffered as a consequence of him hiring and operating the aircraft whether or not it could be deemed to be 'pilot error' in the event of an incident or accident - liable in any event irrespective of whether it was caused by the negligence of the pilot.

Last edited by SpannerInTheWerks; 9th Oct 2013 at 18:12.