PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bridge Cameras
Thread: Bridge Cameras
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2013, 11:51
Bushfiva
Hippopotomonstrosesquipidelian title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine camera, the OM-1. She was right to reject it as it's an antique from an obsolete photo technology.

I'd suggest a micro 4/3 camera such as an E-M1 (if it has to look like a DSLR), Pen EP-5 or similar: compact, good quality, flexibility. Panasonic also has outstanding kit. You don't need to cover a vast zoom range: a good photographer can take a good photo with whatever's to hand.

And with respect to the latter, the best camera is the one that is always with you. No point in buying something that is too heavy to carry fully-configured, and too heavy to use.

The reason I'd choose a micro 4/3 over some of the really good superzooms right now, is that a micro 4/3 with a pancake lens will still just about fit in a pocket. A superzoom won't.

I have a stupid amount of kit, but these days I just take a body and a single lens, and that dictates the style of the day's photos. They all come out fine, whichever lens I use. As I said, a good photographer will always get a shot, but not if the camera isn't with them.

The only caveat I would add is: if your daughter is into still life, commercial photography etc., then it's down to good tripods, good lighting, good remote triggers etc. Plus software to de-brand anything she takes a pic of.

Edited to add: for breaking news, the snobbery has gone and iPhone & friends are perfectly acceptable.

Edited edited: I'm a sucker for the small Ricohs. Just lovely. but my cash comes from Nikon (but only because that's what I have).

Last edited by Bushfiva; 9th Oct 2013 at 11:57.