PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 10:58
Trossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomspur,

If you are using those much quoted Amadeus figures, they strangely ignore five US routes that have figures that would easily make their way into that 'top ten' (although Las Vegas features a little further down the list!), so I would question their validity. And you are correct that JNB - CPT does include a lot of international travellers as I know people who have travelled LHR - CPT in the last few days but had to connect via JNB, therefore adding to those figures. But even if there are two routes that do quite well, can you base your business model for an airline on only really two routes that have massive 'competition' from a tax-payer funded lost-making airline?

Capetonian (apologies for my previous incorrect spelling!),

'Col Matheson', as quoted above was referring to the 'Rietbok' incident (and you had previously referred to a 'conspiracy theory' about that crash). There is not much doubt that there was a cover-up of some sort about the dangerous goods loaded on the 'Helderberg', be they munitions or fireworks it was dangerous goods that were not properly loaded/carried that caused the fire. As I have mentioned, it is frequently quoted in airline 'Dangerous Goods' courses.

SA should have a well developed aviation industry, but doesn't and won't while the 'kleptocracy' continues.