PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilot wishing to work in Canada
Old 5th Oct 2013, 21:51
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I do hate with aviation, and this thread smacks of it, is how a lot of small minded some people are about their own countrymen getting the jobs in their country. Then when the opportunity arises overseas for them to get ahead in their career with better pay and conditions... they quickly jump ship without thought of the locals who they have stepped on to get that job.

Do I believe that there should be some form of protection in their own market? Yes. I do. And there is sufficient protection in that already.
Should someone who has the proper qualifications and permits be looked over because they are non-canadian?
No.

Specially if they are better in the cockpit than local pilots.

Simple thing to do mzs, just find the bigger flight schools that are a recognised college system. Do the course that is offered, then you can apply for a work permit for two years.
After one year of work, you can apply for a work permit to work anywhere in the country. This can take up to 13 months.
Continue working on your old permit until that expires, you will have two years experience in the country, around 800-1000hrs experience and then have a bit of knowledge of where to go from there.
The route isn't easy but it can be done.

After the study program, if your work permit still hasn't finished being issued, look into the working holiday program.
This allows you to work anywhere in the country in just about any job, for one year. It is a non extendable permit open for 18-35yr olds.
I'm not sure if you can do this one though if you have already been in country working previously.

I wouldn't suggest using the working holiday permit right now as your hours are too low. You would end up wasting most of it chucking bags on a ramp somewhere, or working dispatch.

Last edited by lilflyboy262...2; 6th Oct 2013 at 08:05.