PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW3 Battle of Britain
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2013, 22:31
gr4techie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExRAFRadar
Also to spice things up a little I am thinking of having Pact Frontal Aviation units attack the Southern UKADR from captured bases in Denmark, Holland and Belgium. Is this feasible ?
From a flight servicing / operational turnaround perspective, yes absolutely. As the Soviet aircraft were designed for this.
They had two refuelling connectors, unlike our single connector. One of their refuelling connectors was for refuelling at home in peace time. While the other refuelling connector they had on the airframe was a copy of the NATO standard refuel coupling. So that they could have used captured NATO fuel.

Originally Posted by ExRAFRadar
Boulmer is now a burning wreck.
Originally Posted by Canadian Break
Don't forget Boulmer also had the T91 deployed at Brunton - with a basic control facility as well (certainly for Broadcast) and, latterly, the T93 at Albemarle as well.
Many years ago I visited RAF Buchan. I was told by a guy who worked there that if they was any threat the type 80 radar trolly would have been towed out of the golf ball and hidden in a forest somewhere safer. While the underground bunker would have been impervious and would have kept on operating as normal with a datalink to the radars (wherever they were). However, I wouldn't fancy being the bod d*cked with opening the hatch and doing a run to the SPAR shop for cigs and pasties at tea break. But at least you would not have to microwave the pies and pasties.