PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest Modular training order
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 19:52
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't though you only do 15 hour CPL course after the IR. And that can be as many or as little hours in the twin as you like.

And I definitely was glad I didn't have to do PFL's and glide approaches etc.

When you have a look at the price of a complex single its not that far off a twin.

And because your not having to practise the SEP stuff you can do 10 hours in a none complex then do a couple of test prep trips in the twin then sit the test. And the test ends up shorter by about 30mins because you fly faster and the only exercise you have to do is an engine failure on go-around followed by a single engine circuit. And as an added bonus it resets your MEP class rating which you can't do on your initial IR but only when you renew it.

For me I think the price was only 400 quid more expensive. But I had over 50 hours logged in the twin when finished. But this is some years ago now.

if you think about it your paying a lot of money to learn a skill you will never use. ie commercially flying a single engine complex piston. The skills I learned twin flying I use every day at work and have to show I can do them every 6 months on check.

Learning how to do PFL's and glide approaches in a single complex was just plain stupidity to me at the time. And to be honest over the last 10 years I have never regretted missing out on it.

Last edited by mad_jock; 3rd Oct 2013 at 19:58.