PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What were they thinking !!!!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 11:56
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your not going to change the ****e that goes on in Glasgow.

Even after living there for 7 years on and off I still don't understand it.

I remember starting living there when I was 17 and starting at the nautical college to do a practical engineering course. Went out for lunch and didn't know the score about crucifix's over pub doors and the like.

A sectarian pub in the Gorbles is a fast learning curve when one is having a pie and a pint. Luckily they took pity on a "sheep shagger" gave me my pint and a pie for free and got told nicely never to darken there door again. And to go across the river next time.

Its battered into both sides from an early stage, reinforced through school and then there is still a divide between which religion does which jobs. The wearing of Boy's Brigade badges still goes on when going to interviews.

There is an old joke which unfortunately has more truth in it than some might realise.

A Turban wearing Sikh walks into a pub to find all the noise stops, he askes the bar man for a pint. The barman replies what foot do you kick with. The somewhat confused Sikh replies. Sorry I don't understand. The bar replies what religion are ye. Sikh replies the gentleman. Which point a confused look comes across the barmans face.

"Is that a protestant Sikh or a Catholic one?"

Silly joke but sums up the mentality of what your dealing with.

The sectarianism in the low land west coast army was pretty shocking to be honest. A lot of it was termed banter but there was an under current of some pretty nasty aspects. Boys could openly wear UDF and UDA medals and nothing was said about it.

How to change it lord only knows. You have the top of the legal profession in Scotland openly supporting the Orange lodge etc. And heads of councils wearing symbols denoting Republican tendency's. They have to or they won't be voted in next time.

It does seem to have got better over the last 20 years but if that's more to do with the work the SFA has done to get rid of the football issues or just a social change with a dilution due to immigration, I don't know. But I do know it hasn't gone away and its still there with the potential to bubble up.

Last edited by mad_jock; 3rd Oct 2013 at 11:58.