PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frederick Valentich
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2013, 18:06
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES - GLEN CONRAD

Book Description
Publication Date: January 20, 2003
After being set up by a CIA operative organization and arrested many times by the US Department of Treasury, Conrad pulls off one of the greatest known escapes from a war zone in battle-torn Zaire. Accepting death before defeat he repossesses his aircraft from President Mobutu Se Se and his Generals. Later, whilst setting up a food supply airlift to Bosnia Conrad became a prisoner in Russia. He was eventually documented and recognised by the US Government and the United Nations for his courage, persistence and character.

This is the story of one man's battle to achieve his goal of becoming a pilot with the Royal Australian Air Force in the 1970's and the subsequent journeys on which life took him...and he took life!*

This often-humorous autobiography travels time and distance, revealing a man whose efforts and successes are the direct merits of his personal courage and self-motivation. Conrad's escape from El Salvador is a gripping testament to his driving force and determination, personifying him in the minds of all that know him.

Eventually becoming the owner of two Lockheed C130 Hercules aircraft, Conrad rises to the top, working for agencies of the United States Government, repossessing aircraft from the Greek Air Force and flying famine relief for the United Nations. All is not well among factions of the CIA however, and Conrad is a marked man with the US State Department and many Divisions of the US Government eager to aid his demise.

This is an inspirational story of true personal achievement and courage under fire. Conrad is a man who is not afraid to perpetually strive for the keys to his destiny, challenge the future and give fate a helping hand when it is needed.*

This is his story.

*Show more

Editorial Reviews
About the Author
In an awful way, world hunger leads to broken sprits, malnutrition and death. On the other hand, the same problem gives to others the opportunity to do something concrete about it; to turn it into a way of healing and ultimately, inculcation of pride. The United Nations "World Food Program" is such an inspiration.

I know this because I spent four years seeing up close the atrocities of dictators and their self-interested military and non military leaderships. Dictators such as ex President Mobutu of Zaire held positions of power by way of force. Generals to these presidents, such as Baramoto of Zaire, Adid of Somalia and Taylor of Liberia , provide the administration for the force while the population provides the pathway for cheap cultivation of commercial goods to be sold on open markets ensuring the powerful their much needed luxury and the level of protection they desire. Such are the spoils of force.

I spent many days on many separate occasions in United States, African and Russian jails,
where I used the time to consider what I could do in response to the overwhelming power directed at me from horrendously dark corridors of US Government Departments and Intelligence Agencies. I gave long, hard thought to the deception and manoeuvers of the murderous dictators and generals who wanted me and my aircraft stopped from delivering food because this weakened their hold on the controlled civilian population. The generals mainly wanted the aircraft to move troops while it is alleged that some US Government agencies including the "NACA" (National Air Carriers Association) just wanted to assist their mate " Southern Air Transport", (S.A.T. was recreated from Air America). S.A.T.'s hope was that I would be arrested and my challenge to reduce the cost of airborne food delivery by military aircraft would be finished. The powerful could continue on as usual.

Make a difference. Stop the reign of bullies. Speak up when government's lie. Don't complacently accept that people should starve. That's the democratic thing to do.
As for me, I did what I set out to do. I survived. I found support from the US Department of State and the Department of Treasury and stayed out of jail, beat Southern Air Transport, airdropped thousands of tons of food and became an advisor to the United Nations.

My integrity restored, I moved back to Australia, my experience only detectable by a wry smile and a slight limp on cold crisp mornings.

Last edited by Fantome; 2nd Oct 2013 at 18:07.